I am a senior research scientist at Google. Prior to joining Google, I worked as a research scientist in the Microeconomics and Social Systems group at Yahoo! Research. I attended Stanford Graduate School of Business on an NSF graduate research fellowship, earning a Ph.D. in economics in 2010. Earlier, I completed undergraduate studies at Caltech in 2006, where I graduated first in my undergraduate class with a B.S. in applied and computational mathematics, a B.S. in economics, and an M.S. in chemistry. I am also a World Chess Federation Master and a former US National High School Chess Champion, and I previously qualified for the US Chemistry and US Physics Olympiad Teams.
Please follow this link for my page on Google's external research site. For my CV click here.
- Ghosh A, Hummel P. Cardinal contests. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on the World Wide Web (WWW) (forthcoming).
- Hummel P, McAfee RP. When does improved targeting increase revenue?. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on the World Wide Web (WWW) (forthcoming).
- Hummel P, Knight B. Sequential or simultaneous elections? A welfare analysis. International Economic Review (forthcoming).
- Hummel P. Strategic ambiguity about military capacity with multiple adversaries. Journal of Theoretical Politics (forthcoming).
- Hummel P, McAfee RP. Position auctions with externalities. Proceedings of the 10th Conference on Web and Internet Economics (WINE) (2014) 417-422. Full version
- Ghosh A, Hummel P. A game-theoretic analysis of rank-order tournaments for user-generated content. Journal of Economic Theory 154 (2014) 349-374.
- Bhawalkar K, Hummel P, Vassilvitskii S. Value of targeting. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Algorithmic Game Theory (SAGT) (2014) 194-205. Full version
- Hummel P, Rothschild D. Fundamental models for forecasting elections at the state level. Electoral Studies 35 (2014) 123-139.
- Callander S, Hummel P. Preemptive policy experimentation. Econometrica 82, 4 (2014) 1509-1528.
- Hummel P, McAfee RP. Machine leaning in an auction environment. Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on the World Wide Web (WWW) (2014) 7-18.
- Hummel P. Pre-election polling and third party candidates. Social Choice and Welfare 42, 1 (2014) 77-98.
- Hummel P, Holden R. Optimal primaries. Journal of Public Economics 109, 1 (2014) 64-75.
- Hummel P, Morgan J, Stocken PC. A model of flops. RAND Journal of Economics 44, 4 (2013) 585-609.
- Hummel P. Candidate strategies in primaries and general elections with candidates of heterogeneous quality. Games and Economic Behavior 78, 1 (2013) 85-102.
- Ghosh A, Hummel P. Learning and incentives in user-generated content: multi-armed bandits with endogenous arms. Proceedings of the 4th Conference on Innovations in Theoretical Computer Science (ITCS) (2013) 233-246.
- Hummel P. Resource allocation when different candidates are stronger on different issues. Journal of Theoretical Politics 25, 1 (2013) 128-149.
- Hummel P. Deliberative democracy and electoral competition. Games and Economic Behavior 75, 2 (2012) 646-667.
- Ghosh A, Hummel P. Implemeting optimal outcomes in social computing: a game-theoretic approach. Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on the World Wide Web (WWW) (2012) 539-548. Full version
- Hummel P. Sequential voting in large elections with multiple candidates. Journal of Public Economics 96, 4 (2012) 341-348.
- Hummel P. Deliberation in large juries with diverse preferences. Public Choice 150, 3 (2012) 595-608.
- Hummel P. Pre-election polling and sequential elections. Journal of Theoretical Politics 23, 4 (2011) 463-479.
- Hummel P. Proportional versus winner-take-all electoral vote allocations. Public Choice 148, 3 (2011) 381-393.
- Hummel P. Information aggregation in multicandidate elections under plurality rule and runoff voting. Mathematical Social Sciences 62, 1 (2011) 1-6.
- Ghosh A, Hummel P. A game-theoretic analysis of rank-order mechanisms for user-generated content. Proceedings of the 12th ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce (EC) (2011) 189-198.
- Hummel P. Abstention and signaling in large repeated elections. Games and Economic Behavior 72, 2 (2011) 586-593.
- Hummel P. Sequential voting when long elections are costly. Economics and Politics 23, 1 (2011) 36-58.
- Hummel P. Flip-flopping from primaries to general elections. Journal of Public Economics 94, 11 (2010) 1020-1027.
- Hummel P. On the nature of equilibria in a Downsian model with candidate valence. Games and Economic Behavior 70, 2 (2010) 65-103.
- Hummel P. Jury theorems with multiple alternatives. Social Choice and Welfare 34, 1 (2010) 65-103.
- Hummel P. Buying supermajorities in a stochastic environment. Public Choice 141, 3 (2009) 351-369.
- Hummel P. Iterative elimination of weakly dominated strategies in binary voting agendas with sequential voting. Social Choice and Welfare 31, 2 (2008) 257-269.
- Hummel P, Winkler JR, Gray HB. Electronic structures of tetragonal nitrido and nitrosyl metal complexes. Theoretical Chemistry Accounts 119, 1 (2008) 35-38.
- Hummel P, Gray HB. Strikingly similar electronic structures of [Mn(N)(CN)5]3- and [Mn(NO)(CN)5]3-. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 151, 4 (2007) 554-556.
- Hummel P, Halpern-Manners N, Gray HB. Electronic excited states of tetracyanonickelate(II). Inorganic Chemistry 45, 18 (2006) 7397-7400.
- Hummel P, Winkler JR, Gray HB. Electronic structures of trans-dioxometal complexes. Dalton Transactions 1 (2006) 168-171.
- Hummel P, Oxgaard J, Goddard WA III, Gray HB. Ligand field excited states of metal hexacarbonyls. Inorganic Chemistry 44, 7 (2005) 2454-2458.
- Hummel P, Vaidehi N, Floriano WB, Hall SE, Goddard WA III. Test of the Binding Threshold Hypothesis for olfactory receptors: Explanation of the differential binding of ketones to the mouse and human orthologs of olfactory receptor 912-93. Protein Science 14, 3 (2005) 703-710.
- Hummel P, Oxgaard J, Goddard WA III, Gray HB. Ligand field strengths of carbon monoxide and cyanide in octahedral coordination. Journal of Coordination Chemistry 58, 1 (2005) 41-45.
- Lee JC, Langen R, Hummel P, Gray HB, Winkler JR. α-Synuclein structures from fluorescence-energy transfer kinetics: Implications for the role of the protein in Parkinsons disease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 101, 47 (2004) 16466-16471.
- Hummel P. On consecutive quadratic non-residues: a conjecture of Issai Schur. Journal of Number Theory 103, 2 (2003) 257-266.
- Hummel P. Solid constructions using ellipses. Pi Mu Epsilon Journal 11, 8 (2003) 429-435.
- Hummel P. Crucial decisions of the second world war. The Concord Review 12, 1 (2001) 177-202.